Best Skrill Online Casinos in South Africa
Skrill (formerly, Moneybookers) is a payment service provider and digital wallet that operates in over 185 countries and supports over 30 fiat currencies (since 2018, SA users can also buy cryptocurrency). Many top-ranked online casinos support Skrill payouts as this is a safe, secure and relatively fast way to send money to any bank account at low fees, link a bank account to Skrill and withdraw money from online casinos. All an individual needs to make the specified transaction is a valid email address – no other personal details are required. There is a flurry of casinos using Skrill because this is a convenient alternative to many other methods utilized internationally or locally, in South Africa.
Getting started with Skrill
First the player needs to get registered on www.skrill.com. Registration consists of five easy steps:
- A person is asked to indicate his/her email address that will later be used as an identifier for depositing and withdrawing
- The system asks for the first name, surname and date of birth. According to Skrill rules, a person should be at least 18 years old to be able to register
- On this step, a person has to specify the country of residence (South Africa) and the preferred currency. Note that Skrill makes transactions in EUR only. If the player’s preferred currency is ZAR, they will be subject to conversion fees. With this in view, it would be reasonable to open a Skrill account in EUR in order to have just one ZAR-to-EUR conversion
- The player has to enter his/her address of residence. This information will not be publicly available. It is required for security purposes: if the player loses his login/password to the account, the address will be needed to recover access.
- Registration is complete after a new user has indicated his/her contact phone number. No spam or advertisements are sent.
- Opening a Skrill account is free
- Uploading ZAR or other currency from any global or local payment method into the Skrill wallet costs 1 percent of the transferred sum
- Depositing money to an online casino accepting Skrill is free
- Withdrawal of funds from an online casino to a Skrill account is normally free of charge unless a casino imposes commissions by itself
- Withdrawing funds from Skrill to local payment methods (VISA) costs 7.5% of the amount or EUR5.5, whichever is bigger. If the percentage applied to the amount is very high, it may be more cost-effective to consider alternative withdrawal options.
Withdrawing funds from an online casino to Skrill
After registering an account with Skrill, the player can now cash out winnings from an online casino using Skrill. When in the casino, the player has to enter a personal cashier section, select Skrill as a withdrawal option and specify the amount. Some casinos may apply fees.
Sending funds from Skrill to a bank card
On the Skrill dashboard, a user first needs to link a bank card to the Skrill account. Important: Only VISA (not MasterCard) can be used for withdrawing funds. Then the player should click on Banks & Cards and then on the Add Credit or Debit Card button. Following the instructions, a user should specify the card number, expiration date and CVV.
Important: the card linked to Skrill for the first time should contain at least $3 to complete verification. A random amount will be drawn from the card for validation purposes, and the user will then have to indicate which amount has been debited from the card account.
In some situations, it is reasonable to withdraw money via the SWIFT international payment network. In this case, a fixed amount of 5.5% (and no commission in percentage) will be deducted.
Skrill MasterCard in South Africa
Skrill issues their own Prepaid MasterCard that can be used in any location all over the world (in ATMs, for offline shopping). The cost of issue of the MasterCard is €10 for all users except for those participating in the VIP program and having a Bronze status, or higher. Card holders issued by Skrill can use it as any other debit or credit card: for paying in outlets, purchasing products, drawing money, etc. Daily ATM withdrawal limits for this type of cards is €900 to €5000, while the max POS limit is €2700 to €10000 per day. The ATM withdrawal fee is 1.75% for regular users, a fixed €1.80 for Bronze users and free of charge for other users.
Buying cryptocurrency with Skrill
Online casinos accepting Skrill can also cooperate with cryptocurrency platforms including Bitcoin, Litecoin and Ethereum. It is a matter of habit for some to deal with bitcoins rather than with fiat money in any form. For those who would like to use Skrill and be able to buy crypto, Skrill wallets have the full-fledged features to help users make bitcoin purchases via any local payment provider. There are also features for setting automated orders for buying crypto at a trigger price. The Skrill cryptocurrency services charges up to 3% for exchanging fiat money into bitcoins and other crypto. Moreover, bitcoins can also be used to play in some online casinos.